Rants -n- Raves -n- Odds -n- Ends

WHEN I DO GOOD, I FEEL GOOD; WHEN I DO BAD, I FEEL BAD. THAT'S MY RELIGION. 
- Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the U.S. (1809-1865)

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Time change has a whole new meaning...


I visited my Dad during the daylight savings time change recently. Changing the time on clocks has a whole new meaning when you have more than a handful to do. 

My Dad loves clocks and in his spare time he refurbishes them. These pictures are just a sampling of the ones that he has. They are not all running, but he had 32 on just his first floor of his home. 

Springing forward is easier as you just move the hour arm ahead one hour. The real problem is falling back. On old clocks you can not just dial back as it will damage the instrumentation. This leaves two options. You can dial ahead eleven hours (to lose one). To do this you have to let the clock chime for each hour before moving to the next hour. As you can see this would be rather time consuming (pun intended). The other option is to stop the clock for an hour and then restart it. 

In any case, you get the gist. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your page. I liked your writing and your pictures. I don't know how you made it look so cool. I haven't learned the art of enhancing my page. I couldn't find a way to follow you.