Rants -n- Raves -n- Odds -n- Ends

WHEN I DO GOOD, I FEEL GOOD; WHEN I DO BAD, I FEEL BAD. THAT'S MY RELIGION. 
- Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the U.S. (1809-1865)

Sunday, January 25, 2009

ttly

Talk to ya later! Yep. That's what ttyl means in text messaging.

So, one of my passions is reading books that others don't want me to read. I am fascinated by books that others find offensive and want to ban. This is one of many books challenged regularly last year. 

When I found it, I immediately checked it out from my public library. While I'm reading banned books, I note what would be the perceived offence and imagine who would find it offensive. Almost always anything that is a "sin" is offensive. Even if the premise of the book is to talk of it publicly to allow an outlet for a person felling isolated. In other words to to be used as a learning tool. This book covers several "taboo" subjects. 

I just finished it recently. I loved it. It reminded me of my days in high school and helped me to understand this generation and how they process information and deal with everyday issues. If you have or knows middle school aged or high school aged girls, buy a copy, read it and then give it to her. This is a poignant read. Read and share! But I would suggest you not tell the receiver that you have read it first. Wait until later after she has read it, then have an open discussion. 

No comments: