Rants -n- Raves -n- Odds -n- Ends

WHEN I DO GOOD, I FEEL GOOD; WHEN I DO BAD, I FEEL BAD. THAT'S MY RELIGION. 
- Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the U.S. (1809-1865)

Friday, January 30, 2009

Before and After


So, I was sitting in in the historic Michigan Theater watching the movie trailers while waiting for "Milk" to start. Now I'm a real stickler for etiquette and am annoyed at rude people who talk, even during trailers. Imagine my surprise when watching a trailer for "The Wrestler", when I blurted out, THAT'S MICKEY ROURKE! I had heard he was making a comeback but was so shocked when I realized that that is who was on the screen!

Wholly cripes! He was almost unrecognizable. What a sad, sad, sad example of body mutilation. You don't see it so much in men, but boy-oh-boy when you do, it is clear they have body dismorphic issues as well. 

This just makes me really sad for him. I'm told his performance is spectacular and that it is the possible beginning of a come back for him. Maybe. But what kind of future roles would we see him in? Limited at best. There just are certain roles that one won't be cast in because of how you look. Ironically, that is what he hoped to avoid by undergoing the procedures in the first place. Like I said. Sad, sad, sad, ever so sad. There are a lot of mixed messages in this world.

No comments: